Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Parenting 101 - only say it if you mean it

Due to our super crazy weekend, and staying up late to see the fireworks, Brynn's behavior has been, well, lets just say, a little challenging. He never does well when he's tired, and I don't do well with a crying fit in response to anything I ask him to do, or say no to! So, things have been a  little tense around here.

In the midst of a MAJOR meltdown the other day, with Brynn yelling at Jon, Jon attempting to keep his cool, Iann crying outside the bedroom door and me wondering how we reached this point, I was so frustrated with Brynn I said "Due to this behavior there will be no friends for the next week!"

There, take that little, tired 6 year old boy! Ha!

But, wait a minute, that means I won't get to hang out with my friends, and we'll be stuck home all week by ourselves. Um, can I take that back??

Not so much.

I almost did this morning though. My good friends were going up to Kids Plex in Junction and I was all ready to go, until Jon reminded me of my wonderful 'no friends all week' statement. I talked myself into believing that it wouldn't be a big deal if I broke my word, and laid out my expectations for Brynn: 'yes Mum' and 'no Mum' were acceptable, 'but Mum' would mean we're heading home, any crying/meltdowns etc meant the same thing. He was very contrite, and gave me lots of 'yes Mum's.'

Until I told him to go to the bathroom so I could clip his nails.

Another huge meltdown, screaming fit. My poor friend was able to hear it all when I called to say we weren't coming. It only took Brynn about 15 minutes to calm down and accept that we weren't going, and then peace returned.

But, was I really going to stay home all day? Me, the girl who loves going places???

Last August I bought our annual pass for the Children's Museum, but was only able to use it a few times before it grew clear that Iann did NOT like going there. He would cling to me, stand at the door crying, etc. I really thought I had wasted the $ and considered asking for it back.

Due to my procrastinating personality, I have many great ideas with very little follow through and so, never having returned it, a few months ago we tried the museum again and he liked it. Yay for procrastination :) Although we were usually the first ones to leave when we met our friends there for play dates and lunch, it became another place to go.

In my need to get out and about, I took the boys there this morning. Usually we go with our friends so Brynn is off with the big kids and Iann either keeps tabs on his group or plays by himself. With no other kids to play with today, my boys (almost) played together! Iann spent much of the morning following Brynn around, and seemed to want to be just where Brynn was, even though he didn't understand everything Brynn was doing. It was great to see them interacting, and Brynn was (mostly) very patient with his little brother. Here are a few highlights:

    Take 1: Brynn is looking

                                  Take 2: No one is looking

    Take 3: Iann is off ...















Brynn at the Lego table
                          Iann watching Brynn play with the Lego's

       Both boys playing with Lego's
















The moral of the story? Only tell your kids things that you can, and will, follow through with ... and then find creative ways to continue life while honoring your outbursts :)

No comments:

Post a Comment